Drug products: Differin, Differin®, Epiduo
ATC code: D10AD03, D10AD53
Controlled studies on differences between men and women in adapalene efficacy, safety and pharmacokinetic properties are lacking.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding pharmacokinetics or dosing of adapalene have been found. In general, transdermal absorption seems to be similar in men and women .
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding effect of adapalene have been found.
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding adverse effects of adapalene have been found.
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
Acne is very common in teenagers, affecting 80-90% to some degree . In a study of volunteers above the age of 25 years (322 men, 427 women) clinical facial acne was recorded in 3% and 12% of men and women, respectively .A prospective study of quality of life and choice of therapy in acne (143 females, 68 males) found the quality of life to improve after treatment at a group level. Women had a lower quality of life score not correlated to severity of acne at start of the study. After six months of treatment with acne preparations the quality of life score correlated to clinical grading and also to treatment with isoretinoin .Age and sex-matched acne patients (270 men, 270 women) with a mean age of 20 years had their skin pH measured, showing the pH of the female face to be slightly higher than that of the male one. Skin pH is affected by age, anatomical site, genetic factors, sebum, skin moisture, sweat, detergents, cosmetics, soaps, washing patterns, and occlusive dressing .Healthy volunteers (30 men, 30 women) were studied to determined influencing factors for facial pores. Factors increasing pores were male sex, increased sebum and decreased skin elasticity .
Date of litterature search: 2016-06-15
- Lello J, Pearl A, Arroll B, Yallop J, Birchall NM. Prevalence of acne vulgaris in Auckland senior high school students. N Z Med J. 1995;108:287-9. PubMed
- Goulden V, Stables GI, Cunliffe WJ. Prevalence of facial acne in adults. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999;41:577-80. PubMed
- Berg M, Lindberg M. Possible gender differences in the quality of life and choice of therapy in acne. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011;25:969-72. PubMed
- Youn SH, Choi CW, Choi JW, Youn SW. The skin surface pH and its different influence on the development of acne lesion according to gender and age. Skin Res Technol. 2013;19:131-6. PubMed
- Kim BY, Choi JW, Park KC, Youn SW. Sebum, acne, skin elasticity, and gender difference - which is the major influencing factor for facial pores?. Skin Res Technol. 2013;19:e45-53. PubMed
- Schwartz JB. The influence of sex on pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42:107-21. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2015 [cited 2016-06-30.] Socialstyrelsens statistikdatabas
Reviewed by: Mia von Euler
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson