Betamethasone - topicalClassification: B
Drug products: Betametason Trimb, Betametason-neomycin i Essex kräm APL, Betnovat, Betnovat®, Betnovate, Bettamousse, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Abacus Medicine, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Aristo, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Orifarm, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Paranova, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Sandoz, Calcipotriol/Betamethasone Teva, Celeston® valerat, Daivobet, Daivobet®, Diproderm®, Diprogenta Creme, Diprogenta Salbe, Diprolen®, Diprotit, Dovobet, Dovobet®, Enstilar, Enstilar®, Fusidinsyra/Betametason Ebb, Fusidinsyra/Betametason LEO, Kalcipotriol/Betametason Ebb, Wynzora, Xamiol, Xamiol®
ATC code: D05AX52, D07AC01, D07CC01, S02BA07
Published controlled studies on sex differences in effect and safety of topical betamethasone are lacking.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
Topical betamethasone is used for treatment of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses . Topical corticosteroids may be systematically absorbed if used on large areas, on broken skin, or under occlusive dressings . No difference between men and women has been shown for transdermal absorption in general .
No studies on sex differences in pharmacokinetics or dosing for topical betamethasone have been found.
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the effects of topical betamethasone have been found.
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding adverse effects of topical betamethasone have been found.
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
A retrospective analysis of patients with eczema or psoriasis on standard dermatological treatment (295 men, 291 women) found that significantly more men than women (79; 63%, 47; 37%) were administered whole-body UV treatment. Also, the results indicated that men had more treatments appointments per individual than women. Women were prescribed more emollients than men .
Date of litterature search: 2017-01-02
- Nyberg F, Osika I, Evengård B. "The Laundry Bag Project"--unequal distribution of dermatological healthcare resources for male and female psoriatic patients in Sweden. Int J Dermatol. 2008;47:144-9. PubMed
- Betamethasone (generic). Summary of Product Characteristics. Medical Products Agency Sweden.
- Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. Pharmaceutical Press.
- Schwartz JB. The influence of sex on pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42:107-21. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2015 [cited 2017-01-09.] Socialstyrelsens statistikdatabas
Reviewed by: Mia von Euler
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson