Drug products: Baculamyl, Bicacta, Bicalustad, Bicalutamid Sandoz, Bicalutamide Accord, Bicalutamide Bluefish, Bicalutamide Orion, Bicalutamide ratiopharm, Bicalutamide Teva, Bictamid, Bikalutamid Actavis, Bikalutamid Ebb, Bikalutamid medac, Bikalutamid Ranbaxy, Bikalutamid SUN, Casodex, Casodex®, Nycolutamid
ATC code: L02BB03
As the substance is only used by men, analyses on sex or gender differences have not been considered relevant.
Bicalutamide is an oral nonsteroidal antiandrogen used in the treatment of metastatic prostatic carcinoma [1-2]. There are two published articles on treatment in women [3-4]. One phase 2 study in women with hirsutism (42 women) showing decreased hirsutism scores after treatment compared to base line . A phase 3 study in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (72 women) randomized to oral contraceptives (OCP) with and without bicalutamide found bicalutamide to be well tolerated and more effective than OCP alone in treating severe hirsutism . No studies of sex differences in effect or safety has been performed.
Date of litterature search: 2018-01-17
- Physicians' Desk Reference. http://www.pdr.net. [cited 2018-12-17]. länk
- Fass.se [cited 2018-12-06]. länk
- Müderris II, Bayram F, Ozçelik B, Güven M. New alternative treatment in hirsutism: bicalutamide 25 mg/day. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2002;16(1):63-6. PubMed
- Moretti C, Guccione L, Di Giacinto P, Simonelli I, Exacoustos C, Toscano V et al. Combined Oral Contraception and Bicalutamide in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Severe Hirsutism: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018;103(3):824-838. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2017 [cited 2018-12-17.] länk
Reviewed by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson