Drug products: Chlorthalidone, Hygropax, Hygroton, Hygroton Tablets 50mg
ATC code: C03BA04
The effect of chlorthalidone regarding reduction of blood pressure, morbidity and mortality has been shown to be similar in men and women.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the pharmacokinetics or dosing of chlorthalidone have been found.
A subgroup analysis of the large ALLHAT study (17 719 men, 15 638 women) showed similar mortality and morbidity rates in men and women taking chlorthalidone .
Results from the SHEP Pilot Study (248 men, 303 women) showed that blood pressure response to chlorthalidone 25-50 mg/day was similar in men and women .
In a Canadian study comparing effectiveness and safety of chlorthalidone and hydrochlorothiazide in older hypertensive adults (4 224 men and 6 160 women on chlorthalidone; 7 984 men and 11 505 women on hydrochlorothiazide), no significant sex difference in incidence rate of events per 100 person-years was observed .
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
The effects of long-term chlorthalidone use on bone-related biochemical variables in elderly patients who had participated in the SHEP program were studied (36 men, 30 women). In both men and women, chlorthalidone use was associated with a decreased serum iPTH (immunoreactive parathyroid hormone) and serum osteocalcin. Vitamin D (measured as 25OHD) levels were lower in women than in men, but were not affected by actual drug therapy .
Date of litterature search: 2019-03-11
- Oparil S, Davis BR, Cushman WC, Ford CE, Furberg CD, Habib GB et al. Mortality and morbidity during and after Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial: results by sex. Hypertension. 2013;61:977-86. PubMed
- Furberg CD, Black DM. The systolic hypertension in the elderly pilot program: methodological issues. Eur Heart J. 1988;9:223-7. PubMed
- Dhalla IA, Gomes T, Yao Z, Nagge J, Persaud N, Hellings C et al. Chlorthalidone versus hydrochlorothiazide for the treatment of hypertension in older adults: a population-based cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:447-55. PubMed
- Hygropax (klortalidon). Summary of Product Characteristics. Swedish Medical Products Agency [updated 2017-05-16, cited 2019-03-11].
- Perry HM, Jensen J, Kaiser FE, Horowitz M, Perry HM, Morley JE. The effects of thiazide diuretics on calcium metabolism in the aged. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993;41:818-22. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2018 [cited 2019-03-08.] länk
Reviewed by: Mia von Euler
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson