Drug products: Flucloxacillin, Flucloxacillin Orion, Flucloxacillin Sandoz, Flukloxacillin Athlone, Flukloxacillin Meda, Heracillin, Heracillin®
ATC code: J01CF05
Substances: flucloxacillin, flucloxacillin magnesium, flucloxacillin sodium
Published controlled studies on differences between men and women regarding efficacy and pharmacokinetics of pivmecillinam are lacking.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the pharmacokinetics or dosing of flucloxacillin have been found.
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the effects of flucloxacillin have been found.
Clinical studies have reported a higher incidence of drug-induced liver injury in women with certain drugs such as nitrofurantoin, flucloxacillin, erythromycin and isoniazid . Several retrospective observational studies have reported a female preponderance in flucloxacillin-induced liver injury. However, numbers of reported cases have been small and the differences between men and women have not reached statistical significance. [2-4]. A UK study of flucloxacillin-induced drug-induced liver injury (15 men, 36 women) showed association with HLA-B*5701 genotype .
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
Date of litterature search: 2016-02-03
- Leise MD, Poterucha JJ, Talwalkar JA. Drug-induced liver injury. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89:95-106. PubMed
- Olsson R, Wiholm BE, Sand C, Zettergren L, Hultcrantz R, Myrhed M. Liver damage from flucloxacillin, cloxacillin and dicloxacillin. J Hepatol. 1992;15:154-61. PubMed
- Fairley CK, Boyd I, Purcell P, McNeil J. Flucloxacillin jaundice. Lancet. 1992;339:679. PubMed
- Daly AK, Donaldson PT, Bhatnagar P, Shen Y, Pe'er I, Floratos A et al. HLA-B*5701 genotype is a major determinant of drug-induced liver injury due to flucloxacillin. Nat Genet. 2009;41:816-9. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2015 [cited 2016-04-05.] länk
Reviewed by: Mia von Euler
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson