Drug products: Glipizide, Mindiab®
ATC code: A10BB07
Some studies indicate a higher risk of hypoglycemia in women compared to men when treated with antidiabetics, there is lacking evidence for differences in dosing and treatment between men and women for glipizide.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the pharmacokinetics or dosing of glipizide have been found.
No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the effects of glipizide have been found.
The ACCORD study (Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes) was a randomized, controlled trial designed to test the effect of intensive glucose control compared with standard control on cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. The study showed that women had a higher risk of hypoglycemia than men regardless of treatment in general .The risk of hypoglycemia in patients treated with a combination of metformin and glipizide or sitagliptin was evaluated in a German study (694 men, 478 women). In patients treated with metformin and glipizide, more women experienced confirmed or severe hypoglycemia than men . The frequency of hypoglycemia events was investigated in patients 66 years or older using sulfonylureas, i.e. glipizide or glibenclamide (also called glyburide). The participants also filled a prescription for one of the 16 most commonly prescribed antimicrobials for this population (n=44,991 male prescriptions, n=88,544 female prescriptions). There was no significant interaction between patient sex on the odds of subsequent hypoglycemia .
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
Date of litterature search: 2020-07-09
- Miller ME, Bonds DE, Gerstein HC, Seaquist ER, Bergenstal RM, Calles-Escandon J et al. The effects of baseline characteristics, glycaemia treatment approach, and glycated haemoglobin concentration on the risk of severe hypoglycaemia: post hoc epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study. BMJ. 2010;340:b5444. PubMed
- Krobot KJ, Ferrante SA, Davies MJ, Seck T, Meininger GE, Williams-Herman D et al. Lower risk of hypoglycemia with sitagliptin compared to glipizide when either is added to metformin therapy: a pre-specified analysis adjusting for the most recently measured HbA(1c) value. Curr Med Res Opin. 2012;28:1281-7. PubMed
- Parekh TM, Raji M, Lin YL, Tan A, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Hypoglycemia after antimicrobial drug prescription for older patients using sulfonylureas. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(10):1605-12. PubMed
- Statistikdatabas för läkemedel. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2019 [cited 2020-03-10.] länk
- Jansson SP, Fall K, Brus O, Magnuson A, Wändell P, Östgren CJ et al. Prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus: a nationwide population-based pharmaco-epidemiological study in Sweden. Diabet Med. 2015;32(10):1319-28. PubMed
Reviewed by: Carl-Olav Stiller
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson