Drug products: Perjeta
ATC code: L01FD02
Pertuzumab is used in some types of HER2-postive breast cancer and thus predominately in women. Relevant analysis on sex differences is thus lacking.
Pertuzumab inhibits ligand-initiated intracellular signaling and mediates antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity and is used in combination with trastuzumab and chemotherapy for some types of HER2-positive breast cancer [1,2].
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
No difference in dosing between men and women is recommended by the pharmaceutical company [1, 2].
As the indication for pertuzumab is HER2-positive breast cancer, a disease affecting mostly women, most studies include almost only women [3-5]. Thus, controlled studies with a relevant analysis of differences between men and women regarding pharmacokinetics, effects, or safety of pertuzumab are lacking.
Reproductive health issues
Data is lacking but pertuzumab, like most other anti-cancer drugs, is not considered compatible with pregnancy. It is recommended that women of childbearing potential use contraceptives during and for 7 months after use of pertuzumab [1, 2]. The pharmacautical compnay reports that limited data from toxicity studies indicate that pertuzumab may affect the male reproductive system . Regarding teratogenic birth defects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
Date of litterature search: 2019-05-28
- US National Library of Medicine. Perjeta (pertuzumab). DailyMed [www]. [updated 2018-12-26, cited 2019-05-28]. länk
- Perjeta (pertuzumab). Fass.se [www]. [updated 2019-03-28, cited 2019-05-28]. länk
- Hurvitz SA, Martin M, Symmans WF, Jung KH, Huang CS, Thompson AM et al. Neoadjuvant trastuzumab, pertuzumab, and chemotherapy versus trastuzumab emtansine plus pertuzumab in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer (KRISTINE): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2018;19(1):115-126. PubMed
- von Minckwitz G, Procter M, de Azambuja E, Zardavas D, Benyunes M, Viale G et al. Adjuvant Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab in Early HER2-Positive Breast Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2017;377(2):122-131. PubMed
- Baselga J, Cortés J, Kim SB, Im SA, Hegg R, Im YH et al. Pertuzumab plus trastuzumab plus docetaxel for metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(2):109-19. PubMed
- Concise (INSIKT). Kalmar: eHälsomyndigheten. 2018 [cited 2019-03-14.] länk
Reviewed by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson