Drug products: Genvoya, Stribild
ATC code: J05AR09, J05AR18
Elvitegravir is used in combinations with other antiretroviral drugs. There are some studies suggesting women are more prone to discontinue treatment with elvitegravir than men.
Antiretrovirals for treatment of HIV are always given as a combination of at least three medicines. Cobicistat is used to boost the effect of other antiretroviral drugs. As studies on HIV patients always include patients receiving combination therapy it is difficult to know which of the studied medicines that cause changes in effect and/or adverse events.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
In the FDA Summary review it is stated that women had higher elvitegravir exposures than men, but also that 54% of women compared to 41% of men had a documented undetectable elvitegravir blood levels suggesting poorer adherence to the treatment regimen byin women . In a population pharmacokinetic analysis of cobicistat or ritonavir in combination elvitegravir (in all 1046 men, 410 women) patients’ sex did not affect pharmacokinetic variables .
Both women and men have been included in the pivotal studies . In the FDA Summary review the findings of subgroup analyses suggest that women, non-white subjects, and patients in non-US regions had lower treatment response to elvitegravir compared to raltegravir . However, there are several uncertainties regarding this finding; it only concerns secondary outcomes, it was not consistent over time, no correction was made for multiple testing. Thus this finding may be due to chance .
Safety and tolerability were evaluated in a European HIV cohort with antiretroviral treatment (958 men, 336 women). Women had a higher risk of treatment discontinuation than men but no increased risk of virological failure. Compared to men, women had less diarrhoea and severe dyslipidaemia but more lipodystrophy . Similarly, in a Spanish retrospective observational study of dolutegravir and elvitegravir/cobicistat treatment in HIV patients (414 men, 128 women) women in both treatment groups were more prone to discontinuation due to adverse events than men .
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
Date of litterature search: 2018-07-30
- US Food and Drug Administration. Vitekta (eletigravir) Summary Review 2014. Drugs@FDA [www]. [updated 2014-09-19, cited 2018-07-23]. länk
- Custodio JM, Gordi T, Zhong L, Ling KH, Ramanathan S. Population Pharmacokinetics of Boosted-Elvitegravir in HIV-Infected Patients. J Clin Pharmacol. 2016;56(6):723-32. PubMed
- Svedhem-Johansson V, Pugliese P, Brockmeyer NH, Thalme A, Michalik C, Esser S et al. Long-term gender-based outcomes for atazanavir/ritonavir (ATV/r)- containing regimens in treatment-experienced patients with HIV. Curr HIV Res. 2013;11(4):333-41. PubMed
- Cid-Silva P, Llibre JM, Fernández-Bargiela N, Margusino-Framiñán L, Balboa-Barreiro V, Pernas-Souto B et al. Clinical Experience with the Integrase Inhibitors Dolutegravir and Elvitegravir in HIV-infected Patients: Efficacy, Safety and Tolerance. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2017;121(5):442-446. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2017 [cited 2018-07-24.] länk
Reviewed by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson