Drug products: Diural, Frusol, Furix Retard, Furix®, Furosemid AB Unimedic, Furosemid AbZ, Furosemid Accord, Furosemid AL 500, Furosemid Copyfarm, Furosemid Hexal, Furosemid Meda, Furosemid Recip, Furosemid Teva, Furosemide Kalceks, Furosemid-ratiopharm, Impugan®, Lasix® Retard, Mindum
ATC code: C03CA01
The diuretic effect of furosemid is similar in women and men.
Pharmacokinetics and dosing
The renal clearance of furosemide after intravenous administration in older healthy men (60-70 years of age) has been shown to be lower than in younger healthy men (20-35 years of age). No information of clearance in women was reported . No studies with a clinically relevant sex analysis regarding the dosing of furosemide have been found.
Diuretic response to oral (80 mg) and intravenous (40 mg over 2 min) furosemide was measured in healthy volunteers (6 men, 6 women) in a randomized, cross-over study. No clinically relevant sex differences in diuretic response, urine flow rate, potassium excretion rate and natriuretic response were found .
Associations between loop diuretics and fracture risk have been reported. In a population-based case-control register study (89 255 men, 169 555 women), all prescriptions for loop diuretics were identified among fracture cases and control redeemed within 5 years before the date of hospitalization of cases. Men and women taking loop diuretics had a similar pattern on risk of fracture .
Reproductive health issues
Regarding teratogenic aspects, please consult Janusmed Drugs and Birth Defects (in Swedish, Janusmed fosterpåverkan).
A randomized clinical trial (620 men, 239 women) investigated the effects of low-dose furosemide (20 mg slow injection) on contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN). The incidence of CIN in furosemide-treated females was higher compared with men (8.5% vs. 7.9%). For both sexes, the incidence in the control group was higher compared with the furosemide group .
Date of litterature search: 2019-03-06
- Lasix (furosemide). DailyMed [www]. US National Library of Medicine. [updated 2018-05-31, cited 2019-03-06]. länk
- Franson KL, Kuk JM, Lam NP, Lau AH. Gender effect on diuretic response to hydrochlorothiazide and furosemide. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1996;34:101-5. PubMed
- Rejnmark L, Vestergaard P, Mosekilde L. Fracture risk in patients treated with loop diuretics. J Intern Med. 2006;259:117-24. PubMed
- Gu GQ, Lu R, Cui W, Liu F, Zhang Y, Yang XH et al. Low-dose furosemide administered with adequate hydration reduces contrast-induced nephropathy in patients undergoing coronary angiography. Cardiology. 2013;125:69-73. PubMed
- Läkemedelsstatistik. Stockholm: Socialstyrelsen. 2018 [cited 2019-03-08.] länk
Reviewed by: Mia von Euler
Approved by: Karin Schenck-Gustafsson