Hazard 9* P 3 B 3* T 3 Risk Insignificant
No measurements of aripripazole have been reported from wastewater or the external environment, either in Sweden or abroad. However, the reason may be that no one has specifically searched for the substance. Aripiprazole is slowly degraded in the environment.
In the literature there are contradictory fat solubility data for alimemazine reported. However, several independent sources report an estimated fat solubility (logPow) above 4, indicating that the substance has a high potential for bioaccumulation.
Comparison with flupentixol, haloperidol and risperidone
Both haloperiodol and risperidone have been reported in wild Swedish fish at levels above therapeutic concentrations in humans, which is also reasonable based on their high fat solubility and measured concentrations in Swedish wastewater. There is also a risk that flupentixol may accumulate in fish close to therapeutic concentration. Flupentixol, haloperidol and risperidone are all included in the Stockholm County Council's table of pharmaceuticals with risk for negative environmental impact according to the environmental program 2017-2021. The risk of aripripazole accumulating in fish at potent levels is estimated to be lower.
The risk classification insignificant, according to Fass.se, is based on total sold amount (kg) of the substance in Sweden during the year 2015 and the toxicity of the substance.
- UBA, The Umweltbundesamt. Database - Pharmaceuticals in the environment.
- Stockholms läns landsting. Förteckning över miljöbelastande läkemedel inklusive åtgärdsförslag framtagen inom ramen för SLL:s miljöprogram 2017–2021.
- Schulz M, Schmoldt A. Therapeutic and toxic blood concentrations of more than 800 drugs and other xenobiotics. Pharmazie. 2003;58:447-74.
- DrugBank-aripiprazol. Canada.
- Fick J, Lindberg RH, Tysklind M, Larsson DG. Predicted critical environmental concentrations for 500 pharmaceuticals. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010;58:516-23.
- Fass.se för vårdpersonal
Author: Health and Medical Care Administration, Region Stockholm