Environmental information about flupentixol is missing on fass.se (2020-11-02). It is voluntary for manufacturers to provide information about environmental impact on fass.se. The data on persistence, bioaccumulation and toxicity are based on previous environmental information on Fass.se. The risk comes from the report by Goodpoint.
Persistence. No data.
Bioaccumulation. Flupentixol has high potential for bioaccumulation.
Toxicity. No data.
Risk. See the report by Goodpoint.
Fass environmental information
Fass environmental information for Fluanxol (flupentixol) from Lundbeck AB (downloaded 2017-04-10).
Persistence: No data.
Bioaccumulation: "Log Kow = 4.51 (experimental)."
Toxicity: No data.
Risk of environmental impact of flupentixol cannot be excluded, since no ecotoxicity data are available.
Concentrations measured in Swedish surface water are estimated to accumulate in fish at therapeutic concentrations. Relevant effect studies are lacking, however, as the analytical method for studying levels in fish is not sensitive enough. Mechanism-based data is missing.
Flupentixol is included in Region Stockholm's table of pharmaceuticals with risk for negative environmental impact according to the environmental programme 2017–2021.
Suggestions on how to reduce the emissions of flupentixol
Concrete proposals on how to work to reduce emissions of environmentally harmful pharmaceuticals on the list have been developed in close cooperation with the Stockholm Drug and Therapeutics Committee's expert groups. The action proposals were developed from an environmental perspective. The patient's best always goes first and several pharmaceuticals on the list are also included in the Wise list. (The Wise list is the drug formulary of essential medicines for common diseases in Region Stockholm from the Drug and Therapeutics Committee.) However, for such pharmaceuticals, there may be measures that could reduce the environmental impact.
Concrete proposal for flupentixol
- Flupentixol is not recommended in the Wise list.
- An option for introduction may be aripiprazole (recommended in the Wise list and is better from an environmental point of view than flupentixol).
- Fass.se för vårdpersonal
- Goodpoint. Prioritering av läkemedel med miljörisk inom SLL. Stockholm: Goodpoint; 2016. Rapport LS 2016–0634.
- IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute Ltd. Fick J, Lindberg RH, Kaj L, Brorström-Lundén E. Results from the Swedish National Screening Programme 2010. Subreport 3. Pharmaceuticals.
- IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute Ltd Fick J, Lindberg RH, Fång J, Magnér J, Kaj L, Brorström-Lundén E. Screening 2014. Analysis of pharmaceuticals and hormones in samples from WWTPs and receiving waters. Rapport C 135.
- Provtagningar av läkemedelsrester i vatten, sediment och fisk för Region Stockholm.
- Region Stockholm. Förteckning över miljöbelastande läkemedel med åtgärdsförslag framtagen inom ramen för Region Stockholms miljöprogram 2017–2021.
Author: Health and Medical Care Administration, Region Stockholm