Environmental information is missing on fass.se (2020-11-05). It is voluntary for manufacturers to provide information about environmental impact on fass.se.
The risk comes from the report by Goodpoint.
Persistence. No data.
Bioaccumulation. No data.
Toxicity. No data.
Risk. See the report from Goodpoint.
Concentrations of meclozine in the environment are considered to be accumulated in fish to therapeutic levels. However, meclozine has not yet been found in fish. Effect studies are missing. Meclozine has been detected in treated wastewater in Region Stockholm.
Meclozine is included in Region Stockholm's table of pharmaceuticals with risk for negative environmental impact according to the environmental program 2017–2021.
The Wise list
Meclozine is recommended in the Wise list. The Wise list is the drug formulary of essential medicines for common diseases in Region Stockholm from the Drug and Therapeutics Committee. Environmental classification of pharmaceuticals is taken into consideration, sometimes with other environmental aspects, when selecting pharmaceuticals for the Wise list. When comparable pharmaceuticals are equivalent to medical effects, safety and pharmaceutical efficacy, environmental impact and price are considered.
Suggestions on how to reduce the emissions of meclozine
Concrete proposals on how to work to reduce emissions of environmentally harmful pharmaceuticals on the list have been developed in close cooperation with the Stockholm Drug and Therapeutics Committee's expert groups. The action proposals were developed from an environmental perspective. The patient's best always goes first and several pharmaceuticals on the list are also included in the Wise list. However, for such pharmaceuticals, there may be measures that could reduce the environmental impact.
Concrete proposal for meclozine
- Meclozine (Postafen) is recommended in the Wise list.
- An OTC package of 10 tablets is available but not included in the reimbursement system. This package is recommended whenever possible. In addition, there is a pack of 100 tablets available within the reimbursement system.
- Goodpoint. Prioritering av läkemedel med miljörisk inom SLL. Stockholm: Goodpoint; 2016. Rapport LS 2016–0634.
- Provtagningar av läkemedelsrester i vatten, sediment och fisk för Region Stockholm.
- Region Stockholm. Förteckning över miljöbelastande läkemedel med åtgärdsförslag framtagen inom ramen för Region Stockholms miljöprogram 2017–2021.
- Region Stockholms läkemedelskommitté. Kloka listan (the Wise list).
Author: Health and Medical Care Administration, Region Stockholm